Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tosca Reno Black Bean Maui Soup

Tosca Reno's Black Bean Maui soup is delicious and super quick and easy to make!  I've been making it for years now and my 6 year old is obsessed with the soup.  I like making this soup when I am late from work (like today) and want to cook something wholesome.  In 30 minutes this soup is on the table.
 
--> Ingredients:
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 ribs celery, coarsely chopped
1 fat carrot, peeled and chopped
1 small purple onion, peeled and chopped
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tsp chili powder
4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
2 15oz cans black beans, rinsed and drain
1 15oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels




Directions:
In large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. I like to use a cast iron skillet - my next purchase will be a cast iron dutch oven.



 Add celery, carrot, onion and bell peppers. Saute until onion becomes translucent, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and spices. Cook another 2 mins.



Add stock or cooking liquid, beans and tomatoes. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Using hand held blender, puree soup to desired consistency. Add corn and let simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.


I like to top with Parmesan crisps that I make like Giada.  The soup is even better the next day!   

     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment